Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Words with friends

While in Lubbock, Rob introduced us to an iPhone game called Words with Friends. It's an interactive version of Scrabble. I loaded a copy on Barb's iTouch ($2) and we've been playing ever since,

You take turns playing against one other person, but you can have multiple games going with multiple people at the same time. It's asynchronous - you can make your move and check back later to see what the other person played. Since I'm borrowing Barb's iTouch to play, I don't get that many chances to play during the day. Hmmm. This may be the tipping point, iTouch wise.

Fun game, I recommend it, but that's not really why I am writing about it. Rob and I have played 4 games. At the moment, it's divided evenly with 2 wins each. However, I think I can assure you that I am unhappier with my two losses than Rob is with his. In, fact, earlier when he was laying down 4-letter words worth 50 points each Barb texted him to let him know he was upsetting his father!

I pride myself on my vocabulary. I have always scored high in word usage; I breeze through verbose and arcane tomes while reading for the blind. I know a slew of words! A veritable plethora of words! So how is it that that little twerp my son beats me like a drum! can aggregate a few fortuitous words from a paltry accretion of random letters and outscore me by better than 100 points! by a scant margin?

That's my boy!

4 comments:

Rob said...

I have an M.Div. I think that qualifies you for knowing all kinds of arcane words!

And what amazes me is that in the last 5 games my friend Trent and I have played - the difference in score for ALL of them combined has been 11 points.

Your turn, by the way.

pat said...

I know where there is a gently used 8gb iPod Touch for sale - she bought a 32gb so she could put more games on it! She's saving for an iPad. (I am not the person - don't want an iPad, want an iPhone)

Rob said...

And if it is any consolation, your daughter just dropped an 83 point word on me. Sigh...

And is it bad that when I see the word verification word, I think "Hmmm, you could spell..."

Bob said...

Umm, yes. She bingoed her first word in my game - all 7 letters.