Friday, March 11, 2011

Blogging my way to Fame and Fortune!

Yes, that's right. I am in the process of restructuring this blog into a money-making machine! Soon. I will be the darling of the Internet and a success story beyond imagination.

What started me thinking about this is SXSW - the little festival that could, now underway in Austin. What began as a little Spring Break band tour has turned into a massive mega-multi-media event. The music portion of the festival features more than 2,000 (count 'em) bands; the film portion outdraws most other festivals combined, and the Interactive (Internet) portion is now THE place to showcase the best new websites, digital projects, wireless applications, video games and startup ideas the Internet has to offer.

For example, this year's Interactive Panel features a ton of bloggers who are making buckets of money and are now on the lecture circuit telling others how to become successful. I hear my name being called! There's a whole section of food bloggers who have turned online entries into book deals, and they are spilling the beans, so to speak. Austinite Julie Powell's blog-turned-book became the movie "Julie and Julia." Reese Witherspoon is being talked up to portray Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond. Oh, I am so looking forward to this! I see George Clooney in my role, don't you? Of course, I'll have a cameo as the lovable Santa figure.

All I need is to get out in front of the next big Blog wave, whatever that is. Let me think....

Food has been done to death. Technorati  estimates that there are more than 30,000 active food blogs out there. Plus there's the unfortunate fact that I can't cook. Look no further than my experience with Fuzzy Date Loaf.

Mommy Blogs are HUGE, but even though I am in touch with my feminine side, I just don't think I could pull that off. At the very least, the beard would have to go and that's not going to happen.

Artsy-Craftsy covers a plethora of possibilities - cute little handbags and totes, decorating with darling found items, marvelous window treatments, furniture from Popsicle sticks, oh, I think...I think I'm... Excuse me a moment. There, I feel better now.

Christian Blogs are also big, but that calls for a lot of heavy thinking (with the possible exception of Jon Acuff) and you open yourself up for a lot of criticism. Like what I just laid on Jon. No, I don't think so.

Political Commentary. Arianna Huffington recently sold her Huffington Post for $315 million dollars. I can relate to that kind of money, and I can bad mouth Democrats, Republicans and Tea Party-ers  alike. However, I would probably have to write about Sarah Palin and post the picture of her in the bikini holding the assault rifle and some things are just not worth the money.

Humor is a distinct possibility, but I notice no one has offered me a book deal on the Adventures of Bob the Dog series and that's all I have to say about that.

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward Urban Myths, Rumors and Scams. No, not debunking them - promoting them. Something along the lines of  "A close relative left me $35 million dollars, but I need your help getting it moved out of Texas before Rick Perry and the 82nd Legislature finds it."

So help me out folks. What do you see as the next big Blog-thing? Help me come up with the right theme and I'll see that you get very wealthy.

Right after me.

1 comment:

pat said...

You could blog about retirement.