Wednesday, March 23, 2011

More "The Customer is not always right."

I'm stealing re-blogging today's post from a site called "The Customer is not always right." conversations with customers that don't always go well.

(Vet | OK, USA)
(I am talking to a customer about vaccines for dogs.)
Me: “The normal shots we give annually are distemper, parvo, rabies, and bordatella.”
Customer: “Okay. I wanted to be sure the distemper shot was part of it. My dog needs that.”
Me: “Okay. Would you like me to make an appointment for you?”
Customer: “Sure. Now, how long after the distemper shot will it take effect?”
Me: “What do you mean, take effect?”
Customer: “How long until my dog is nicer?”

Grocery Store | Fairfield, CA, USA
Customer: “Ma’am, I think your frozen yogurt is expired.”
Me: “Really? What brand?”
Customer: “I don’t remember. But it tasted funny last night when I ate it.”
Me: “What was the expiration date?”
Customer: “Not until next month. But it tasted funny. After I put it in the microwave, it was liquid and warm.”
Me: “You put it in the microwave?”
Customer: “Yeah, it’s frozen yogurt! You have to heat it up!”

(Coffee Shop | Calgary, AB, Canada)
(A customer approaches with her 2 year old son in arms, and her 5 year old daughter. As she is about to order, a customer from a few minutes earlier storms in front of her. She is yelling and screaming incoherently, and throws her drink on the counter.)
Daughter, to her mother: “Mummy, why is the lady yelling?”
Mother: “Never mind it, she’s just being rude.”
(The little girl scowls, and points at the customer.)
Daughter: “You cut that out right now! You need to be more polite!”
(Taking example from his sister, the toddler starts pointing and yelling.)
Toddler: “BAD! BAD!”
(The irate customer is embarrassed. She shuts up and storms out. The little girl gets a free hot chocolate.)

(Sandwich Shop)
(The phone rings at around 6-ish.)
Me: “Hello, this is D-…”
(I hear loud crying in the background.)
Man: “Hello, Disney World? I’m just calling to say that if my children don’t finish their vegetables in the next five minutes, we won’t be visiting you this year.”
Me: “I…er…what?”
Man: *whispering* “Thank you.” *click*

(Retail | Woodland Park, NJ, USA)
(A customer comes up to the register with two hand towels. They are on clearance.)
Customer: “The sign said these were buy one, get one free.”
Me: “Well, actually they’re clearance. So you’re saving $2.”
Customer: “I want what the sign says.”
Me: “I’m sorry about the sign being wrong, but you’re actually saving more money by them being on clearance.”
Customer: “You’re not listening to what I’m saying. I don’t care about saving money.”
(I charge her the extra two dollars.)

(Restaurant | Poulsbo, WA, USA)
(I am making a customer a salad. She is listing off what she wants on it.)
Me: “So that was oil, vinegar, and honey mustard for the dressings?”
Customer: “Yes, please.”
(I proceed to put them on.)
Customer: “I didn’t want honey mustard.”
Me: “I just asked you if you wanted it, and you said yes.”
Customer: “I never said I wanted it.”
(To avoid confrontation, I set it aside and make a new one. I finish putting all the dressings on, except the honey mustard.)
Me: “Sorry about that. Would you like anything else on it?”
Customer: “You know what, I will try some honey mustard on it after all.”

Computer Store | Toronto, Ontario, Canada
(An elderly man approaches me to purchase a Mac laptop for his granddaughter.)
Customer: “Hey, I have some questions about that laptop.”
Me: “Sure, what can I help you with?”
Customer: “That laptop is an Apple, right?”
Me: “Yes.”
Customer: “I’m buying it for my granddaughter, but she’s allergic to apples. Can I get the same one, but in another fruit?”
Me: “…what? You do know that the laptops aren’t made of apples?”
Customer: “Then why display only an apple? It should be a selection.”
Me: “…I’ll get someone to help you.”

Tech support | MI, USA
(I am trying to help an elderly couple get on the internet.)
Me: “Okay. Go ahead and see if you are able to connect.”
Customer: “I can’t. It says that I am not connected to any networks.”
Me: “That’s odd. I can see you on the network.”
Customer: *amazed* “You can see me?”
Me: “Yes, I can see you.”
Customer: *shocked* “Wow, she can see me!”
Customer’s husband: *in the background* “Well, put some clothes on woman!”

No comments: