Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday Meanderings - 03.28.2011

Went by the Event Center to pick up Barb's Capitol 10K packet. Yes, she has signed up again. No, she is not running again. She's in it to support Meals on Wheels and to get the tee shirt. I must admit it was pretty intimidating to see all the fit, buff, trim people coming in to get their packets. I kept wanting to say, "Just waiting on my wife. She's the triathlete."

Barb saw a tee shirt while there. It read, "I know I run like a girl. Try to keep up."

I've been working on taxes off and on the last couple of weeks. I use the wine-and-cheese approach; I rough it in, let it age and come back later and work with the details. More aging and checking of details and by this time I know if I'm going to have a party - Quelle Frommage! - or hit the bottle. Looks like a party this year. Early in our marriage, Barb did the taxes. One year she initially told me we were good, then on that particular April 14 she came to bed after a final, get-ready-to-file check and said, "I added when I should have subtracted and we owe $2,000 in taxes." Whereupon, message delivered,  she turned over and went to sleep.  I, on the other hand...

Have you seen the Subaru commercial where the dad is giving his daughter a lengthy string of driving instructions before she takes off in the car? From his perspective she's 4 or 5 years old, and that's how the commercial shows her initially. Finally the little girl tires of the instructions and cuts him off with a "Daaaady!" The inflection is perfect and every father recognizes it. Barb says, "It's in the genes. All girls, regardless of age, have the 'Daaaady!' down perfectly."

There was an item on the news this week about classes being held for "Pole Dancing for Jesus." That is wrong on so many levels I can't even begin to tell you what I think. Yes, it's on Youtube and I regret telling you even that much.

After a lengthy period of no blooms, but a dozen air-roots produced, there is at last a new bloom spike on the orchid. Exciting!

Under the topic "Mixed Messages," Barb gets really hacked off when birds come and sit on her current banner. Can you see why the birds might feel welcome? Can you see why Barb gets hostile?

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I don't mind if they use the flag pole as a resting place, but I do get annoyed when they use it as a port-a-pottie.

Sarah said...

a)Registered for (and intended to run) the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon in Dallas last weekend. Sprained ankle on Wed. Hobbled into Fitness Expo to pick up my $75 t-shirt. Bought myself a "I Run Like a Girl" t-shirt. :-)

b)Don't ever get to the Daaaaddy part of the Subaru commercial 'cause I'm wiping the tears from the first 2 clips of him handing the keys to his 3 year old. That is ME teaching my oldest to drive right now. It's killing me.

c)"Pole Dancing for Jesus": yes, I saw it, too -- disturbing. So disturbing. Just... no.

d) I agree with Barbara. Birds should feel Welcome... not to potty. They should have been raised better than that. Rude birds.