Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday Meanderings


I love pistachio nuts. Central Market has a big bin of them and I'll get a scoop or two from time to time. They're awfully pricey here in Austin, though, so it occurred to me that whenever I visit a real Pistachio hotspot I can stock up. You know, maybe from Setton Farms near Fresno. What's that you say? Bummer!

On my way home from the office I pass a house with a small cluster of Iris in the yard. Of course it makes me think of my Mother - she loved Iris and had quite a collection. She traded bulbs with others and even had some patented varieties. Which got me to thinking. Have Iris have fallen out of favor? Seems to me that you find them only around older houses these days. Or am I just oblivious?

Okay. I admit it. We are officially part of the Senior Early-Bird crowd now. IHOP with 2-for-one and Luby's with half-price LuAnn plates. What's not to like? Except eating out with a bunch of old folks.

I submit to you that one of life's greatly underrated pleasures is a grocery cart that does not go BUMP!BUMP!BUMP!; does not pull sharply to the side and steers with almost no effort!

There's a sign at the office that says, "When you work here you can name your own salary. I named mine 'Alphonse'."

2 comments:

pat said...

I would put a picture of some of my beautiful iris in this comment if I could figure out how to do it.

I think that the younger generation doesn't know what they are missing when they don't use such an easy-to-grow flower in their yards, but you only see them at older homes - and Clark's Garden, near Weatherford.

Jim has some that bloom so prolifically- twice a year- that people stop by and ask him about them. He said that a person from the Iris Society stopped one day.

Julie said...

There are a bunch of iris plants back in Morgantown...such beautiful iris, too. The house came with lots of bearded varieties, but then I got some siberian irises from somewhere. Those are my favorites. They're quite easy to grow, too - as long as you divide them every so often.