Friday, April 10, 2009

Newly air-conditioned

I didn't want to be in the position of posting a picture on this blog this summer of the household thermostat reading in the high 90's. Believe it or not, I have seen such pictures on other blogs. Unfortunately, with our old air conditioning unit, that was becoming a very real possibility - I kept my fingers crossed all last summer. So rather than play Roasting Roulette another season, I called some folks and they came and did their thing and now we have a new super quiet, super efficient, money saving, highly discounted, City of Austin rebated, Lennox rebated, government rebated A/C unit that we paid a lot of money for. Cool.

The crew came last Friday and thanked me multiple times for an easy job on the last day of the work week. They said that Friday jobs were usually on the second floor after climbing a bunch of steps to get to the front door. Ours was "back the truck up and git er done!" They also commented on how much they enjoyed watching the birds at the feeders through the bonus room window. I commented that I was glad it was a fixed-price job, and not by the hour.

Did I mention super quiet? Our old A/C was not quiet. It was more train-like. We got used to it, but seeing the alarmed look on the faces of guests in our home when the air conditioner started always reminded us how noisy it really was. Last evening I'm sitting on the couch and kept feeling a cool breeze. The front door was open, so I got up and shut it. There is still a cool breeze. I check the overhead fan - nope. Look to see if the patio door is open. Where is that breeze coming from? Then I realized that the A/C had cycled on and I had not even realized it!

That's quiet, dear hearts.

No comments: