Friday, August 7, 2009

Another story for my Grandchildren...

Poor Skeeter. It was hardly fair to gang up on him like that. But I should start at the beginning.

I was in the minority when I was in college in that I had a car. I had a job at a radio station on the far side of Abilene, so I needed reliable transportation - thus the car.

One weekend I was to fly to Dallas, so I left my car keys with Skeeter, my roommate, so that he could have the benefit of the car while I was gone. However, unknown to Skeeter, I left another key with Thayne, who lived next door in the dorm (and later became my brother-in-law). And the stage was set for a very disturbing weekend - for Skeeter.

Wherever the guys went in the car that weekend, it was never found in the place Skeeter left it. If they went to eat, someone moved the car down a block during the meal. Movies? Where's the car? I left it right here!

Thayne kept switching co-conspirators so that Skeeter would not get suspicious that the same person was always missing - and it worked well.

When I got home Sunday evening, Skeet handed me the keys and said, " I don't know where your car is. I left it in front of the dorm, but I know without looking it's not there now. And don't ever lend me your car again." and he walked out.

Just another story that needs to be recorded in the family history.

No comments: