Friday, August 21, 2009

Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution?

My cousin Max called me the other day. Over the years we have shared some genealogical information back and forth and this summer he became interested in proving that he descended from a true Revolutionary War Patriot. If you can prove this - really, really prove it with acceptable documents such as birth certificates, etc. you can become a Son or Daughter of the American Revolution. Max's wife Sylvia had proved her line several years ago and is active in the DAR. Max (and I) knew that our 5 time removed grandfather William Blanton Boyd was a Patriot, as soldiers of this era were known, but no one had ever gone to the effort to document it. Until now.

With a lot of work and effort he accumulated the necessary documentation for application, and as a side thought called me to see if I wanted to join up too. Since he has proved the line, all I have to do to be eligible is to prove I'm of the same line. That only requires one or two birth certificates. Max has already done all the heavy lifting.

I confess that I have never considered joining the SAR, and can't think of any great reason to so so now, but I mention it just in case my children ever wanted to be DARs or SARs; for you it's a slam dunk. For that matter, it applies to my siblings as well, I guess. So if this is a big deal, get in touch with Max. He's got the info.

By the way. He also uncovered a relative or two that were Loyalists. Best not to mention that if you are considering joining up.

1 comment:

pat said...

Mom had asked me years ago if I wanted to be a DAR, but I wasn't interested. Now I'm too busy.

Bonna said it would look good in my obit!!!