Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday Meanderings - Aug 17

If you draw a straight line from Salt Lake City to Austin it will pass over or near Montrose, Telluride, Albuquerque and Lubbock. Much of that journey was cloudless and clear and the view of the mountains and valleys was a treat from my window seat. I wish I could have had a better idea of exactly where I was looking as we passed over the terrain. I did however, feel pretty confident about where we were when we got to the Texas Panhandle. The irrigated green circles really stand out. And then I saw a strange matrix of bare spots, joined by dirt roads. It looked something like this:

You're right. It's a wind turbine farm. I couldn't see the turbines from my window, just as you can't in this satellite picture, but that's exactly what this is. Cool!

Speaking of flying... Can you tell me why, when the airlines go to great lengths to verify that the people sitting in the exit row are capable, healthy, strong, mentally alert, able to follow instructions and are good looking to boot - do they then label the exit door itself with a tag in Braille? IMWTK

Not only that, when the attendants announce "Ladies and gentlemen, this is our initial descent into Austin..." you wonder how many more descents we are going to make. Keep trying till the pilot gets it right? I'm just wondering.

Went to Yosemite. Mom saw a bear as were driving along. I saw a telephone cell tower disguised as a pine tree.


It looked like sorta like one of the old aluminum Christmas trees - but green, not silver. I doubt that it fooled the bear.

Four days until Chuy's Hatch Green Chili Festival. Central Market also does a Hatch Chili Festival during this same time period. This weekend when we were there we saw Hatch Chili bread, Hatch Chili tortillas, Hatch Chili dip, Hatch Chili scones, Hatch Chili chips, and of course, freshly roasted Hatch Chilies. I got some Hatch Chili chips. Mom will not enjoy them. Too bad - just have to eat them all myself.

No comments: