Friday, September 11, 2009

Class of '59

Fifty years. Five. Oh. As in oh, my!

I mentioned that I'm going to attend the 50th Reunion of the Breckenridge High School class of 1959. Truth be known, I would rather not, but how often does a 50th reunion roll around? duh! And to prepare for this event, I'm dragging out the old high school yearbooks and doing a little refresher course on the kids I went to school with.

I have over the years said that I was part of a class of 74 graduates. That may or may not be correct. I have a booklet that was prepared on the occasion of the 45th reunion and it has names and photos of 107 classmates (bought the book - skipped the reunion). But the official yearbook has only 80 pictures and names. The official class picture shows 71 individuals in caps and gowns.

I don't know where the extra people came from for the 45th list; I'll have to do a little research. I can believe that 3 people were missing on the day we took the official picture. I know that not everyone in the class graduated - in fact, one classmate was already a guest of the Criminal Justice System at that time (but now that I think about it I'm pretty sure he was left over from the class of '58. Or '57).

I do know that at least 30 are deceased. Possibly more - there are 7 names in the 45th reunion booklet that have no contact information. So if we go with the 74 number, there are fewer than 40 of us still wandering around.

Maybe they better move the date up some.

2 comments:

pat said...

I think you will have a great time. You don't have to live up to anyone's expectations at this point. To still be alive is considered the high point!

pat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.