Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Funny how the night moves...

I awoke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered
Started humming a song from 1962
Aint it funny how the night moves

With autumn closing in...

I sometimes have trouble going to sleep and lie awake thinking, but I seldom wake in the wee hours and can't go back to sleep. Maybe it's because I've decided to attend my high school 50th anniversary reunion next month, but I spent a couple of hours early this morning thinking about high school and early college... kids I hung out with...people I knew...girls I dated. Both of them. I was such a total dork.

I thought about Eddye Kendrick, who I thought was totally cool, even if he was in the band, like me. I thought about Marilyn somebody, who moved to town from Wichita Falls my senior year. She had modeled in WF and had some 8x12 glossy "glamor" shots; I took one to ACU and since you couldn't have pin-ups on your wall I signed it "Love, Mother." Which was funny until Mother came to visit.

I thought about Ida Jo and Carolyn O'Conner getting into a cat fight up at the water tower the night of the traditional Jr/Sr rumble. It was the annual battle over juniors trying to paint "Class of whatever" on the water tower and seniors trying to stop them. Ida Jo and Carolyn were fighting so spectacularly that the guys who were also fighting said, "Hold on - I've got to see this!"

I thought about the morning of our Senior trip (Ft Worth Zoo - how lame) being called to the Principal's office before the bus left. Someone had painted "Seniors Rule" on the school building; I got called in because one of the coaches spotted white paint on my shoes. I successfully defended my lack of fashion as being left over from sets painted for a school program. Pheww!

Funny how the night moves...

No comments: