Friday, September 18, 2009

Say what?

I got out my high school year book to look over prior to attending the 50th reunion of the Class of '59. I looked over the pictures in the book, and compared them to those I have that were taken at a reunion 5 years ago. My, my. Those people sure have aged. Then I began reading all the stuff that my classmates wrote in my annual. Yikes! I hope my parents never read them. I really hope my children never read them!

To be sure, the majority of what's scribbled in there is the usual drivel "...I know you are going to go far with all your incredible talents and looks, yada, yada, yada..." but sprinkled in there are some really interesting little tidbits. Like "I used to think you were touched in the head, but now that I know you I know you are not." Hmmm. That usually goes the other way. And "...you were the funniest thing I ever saw just before the curtain opened on Senior Play night." I wonder what I was doing?

And there were more than a few references to events and activities of the year, such as  "For both our sakes, I'll not mention the Band trips, or Brady." And "I'll never forget the Junior Senior rumble and painting the water tower." And "I'm sure you'll never forget our late night conversation. We really educated Sam!" However, I did forget. I have no idea what she was talking about. Nor do I know why one girl wrote: "Maybe I did have to use my hairbrush a few times, but you turned out to be a pretty good guy." You would think one would remember something like that. Or "Hello, Hot Daddy! Hasn't this been a wonderful Senior Year? Honest. We were not that close as friends.

Some were pretty indifferent about the whole thing:  "We've known each other for a long time and I still think you are a good guy." Or "No hard feelings." Or, they were just clueless, like the Freshman girl who congratulated me on being voted "Most Popular Boy." Ya'll, I wasn't even nominated! And in fact, I must have had issues with some classmates. "I was afraid I wouldn't get a last chance to to attempt to redeem myself, whatever it is I've done to merit your undivided indifference." Or "I hope you get your love life straightened out soon. It's really getting me down." 

But the grand prize goes to the guy who wrote: "Dear Bob, I have enjoyed seeing you choke everybody this year about making people do whatever you want them to do. If you do this any in future years, you may get caught up with. Seriously, I hope you get better. "May God guide you." Your friend always."

And this guy is signed up for the reunion! That's going to be an interesting conversation - unless he's like me and can't remember what was going on before the curtain went up - among other things.



























2 comments:

Julie said...

Surely you're making some of those up...

Bob said...

Uh, no. See the quote marks? That's because I am quoting them - as written.