Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday Meanderings - 6.13.2011

This was ROTRALLY weekend in Austin. Republic of Texas Motorcycle Rally. Hard to miss 40,000 extra Harleys in town. It brings in a ton of money and gives the local hospitals and EMS crews a busy weekend. I've mentioned ROTRALLY a number of times before, and I even posted a picture of a couple of maturity on a big trike and claimed that it was of Barb and me leading the parade down 6th Street. Truth be told, I snagged that picture from some other website somewhere and laid claim to it. I know you find that hard to believe. You'll get over it.

Actually, that post and it's picture makes me a tad bit nervous. For some reason, people using Google to search for "rotrally" or "Republic of Texas Motorcycle Rally" or variations thereof frequently find that specific blog in their returned set of sites and come exploring. Go figure. What I fear is that some day some bad biker dude and his tattooed motorcycle momma are going to knock on my front door and say, "About that picture that you claim is of you and your squeeze." Let me just go on record right now as saying, "My, that is a handsome couple and I hold them up as an inspiration to me and my wife."

We enjoyed a "no technology evening" the other night, thanks to Time-Warner. When you bundle your cable, telephone and Internet all with the same provider you run the risk of being dumped back into the 1950's from time-to-time, back when the family sat quietly after dinner, reading, sewing, pondering the days activities. If that had not been the night of a Mavs/Heat game and the championship of Women's Collegiate Softball we might have been more philosophical about it. Actually, with iPhones, you are not bereft. It just feels like it.

Saw a bumper sticker that said "I (heart) my toaster." Gotta love this town.

Do you have any bulletin boards in your church foyer? I looked up the other day and realized that we don't at our church. There used to be a number of them for different ministries and such. Now there are flat-screen monitors mounted on the wall. We have half-a-dozen of them, each looping through spiffy, professional-looking pages promoting the teen classes, or the Father-Son Camp-out, or Peru Orphanage VBS. Nobody cuts out letters or pictures anymore. I guess now you boot up graphic design programs and e-mail the finished product to the server. No more bulletin board parties. How long before our children won't remember what a church bulletin board was? Does Jon Acuff know about this?

Shady Grove - a local eatery that is part of the Chuy's empire -  has a chicken fried steak smothered in - wait! Not cream gravy, but Hatch green chili sauce & melted Monterrey cheese, served with a twice-baked jalapeno potato. I'm trying to decide if that is an abomination in Bubba-land, or the greatest thing I've ever heard of! I'll let you know after I try it.

And I need your help. Take a look at my shoes. Go ahead, this is not Smellavision.


Notice the dark spot on the right shoe? I can't figure out what makes that. The spot shows up on my other shoes as well. My first thought was the car - maybe the floor mat. Nope. Fabric floor mats. Hooked under the brake pedal? No. So I guess I sit with my right foot curled under me and rubbing on... what? Carpet throughout the house. Plastic mat under the computer desk (and awkward to get the toe against, to boot). Chairs? Recliner? I walk like Igor and drag my foot behind me? I mean, I don't even wear shoes most of the time anyway! What causes the dark spot? Winner gets a pair of old sneakers. Second prize is two pair.

And, you can't make this stuff up.

HOQUIAM, Wash. —
Police say a man was carrying a dead weasel when he burst into a Hoquiam apartment and assaulted a man. The victim asked, “Why are you carrying a weasel?” Police said the attacker said, “It’s not a weasel, it’s a marten,” then punched him in the nose and fled. The attacker was apparently looking for his girlfriend and had gone to her former boyfriend’s apartment Monday night where the victim was a guest. KXRO reports he left the carcass behind.

Police later found the suspect arguing with his girlfriend at another location and arrested the 33-year-old Hoquiam man after a fight. He said he had found the marten dead near Hoquiam, but police don’t know why he carried it with him.

No comments: