Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday Meanderings - 10.01.2012

Thankfully, the "real" NFL referees are back on the job, so this is just a parting shot, but it is somewhat disturbing to know that Wayne Elliot, the Referee for last Monday Night Football's debacle, is an Austin Realtor and on the Friday previous, he was refereeing the Anderson High School game and this Saturday night called the Lake Travis game. Says he has no comment about his side job as a replacement official.
 
Saw a news item the other night that said research shows that married couples who share chores equally are more likely to end in divorce. That seems puzzling, but I told Barb that for the good of the marriage I was willing to forgo my share. As usual.
 
I have mentioned this before, but my sense of smell is wonky; it is not unusual to suddenly be overwhelmed by a smell that is simply not present. In other words, my nose is making it all up. More understandable is that a real, strong odor will get stuck and stay with me long after I have changed locales. Sometimes that's a good thing. Stopped by Rudy's BBQ at noon the other day and I enjoyed the tang of wood smoke and seasoned brisket well into the evening!
 
Watched WVU make a statement about their debut in the Big 12 Conference on Saturday (70 - 63 over Baylor). Geno Smith, the WVU QB, had more touchdown passes (8) than he had incompletions. I do wonder though, how they will fare against a good defensive team. Unfortunately, we are not apt to find that out this weekend when they come to play Texas. Smith looks very good at this point for the Heisman, which would be two years in a row for the Big 12.
 
It used to be a problem that the TV remote was always on the side of the room where I was not. It was just one of those immutable laws. Solved that problem when the cable guy left us a 2nd remote - one on the couch and one by the recliner. Sweet! Only now the iPad and the phone are always where I'm not. Does the Apple guy make house calls?
 
One seldom-mentioned aspect of using a CPAP machine, which provides a steady stream of air through your sleeping mask, is that if the electricity goes off in the middle of the night - at oh, say 3am - one is immediately and abruptly wakened. While there is no actual danger of suffocating, for a moment or two it sure seems likely. And if the electricity comes back on briefly, then goes off again and on and off several times in succession, this seems to upset the alarm system, but since you are already sitting bolt upright in the bed sucking for air, the added excitement of the blaring alarm is just an extra jolt of adrenaline. It must be noted that I did not doze off in church yesterday, but I can't tell you what football games were on TV Sunday afternoon.
 

1 comment:

pat said...

I once told Joann that I was going to get a second TIVO remote to have at my desk and she said "and you're going to the Y for what reason?"