Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday Meanderings - 10.22.2012

I was reading an article in Sports Illustrated (I get Barb's hand-me-down copies) and the writer referenced "directional colleges." I had never heard this term before and commented so to Barb, and she figured out that it referred to schools and universities with compass directions in their names, like East Carolina, South Florida, Central Florida, and a team we watched Tuesday night, North Texas.

But the implication in the SI article was that such schools are lesser lights, so what about WEST Virginia? And NORTH Carolina, and SOUTH Carolina? Further research seems to indicate that the "directional" label only applies when the state itself does not have a direction in its name. Therefore West Virginia is NOT directional, South Florida IS. That seems to work okay until you consider that SOUTHERN California cannot be considered a lesser school by any standard. I guess there are exceptions to every rule.

By the way, we saw a TV interview of some Texas Tech players that had been in a heated argument about whether West Virginia was a state. This was prior to playing them; afterwards, they probably felt that they could draw any conclusion they wanted.

When we replaced the carpet in our house a couple of years ago, we contracted for three annual cleanings. When we requested the service on the first anniversary, it took multiple phone calls, a trip to Home Depot, offering burnt sacrifices and an act of congress to get it scheduled. So I was prepared this year; I started a month early, thinking it would take at least that long to finally get someone to agree to put us on the schedule. So Tuesday morning I called the warranty service (Home Depot), they took my information and Tuesday afternoon the cleaners called and Wednesday they came. And I was all prepared for a really big fight to get this done! Now if we could just get the furniture positioned back where it was.

Thursday was a gorgeous day, and I was on my own for lunch, so I decided to walk up to a little Mexican food restaurant up the street.  Up is the operative word in that sentence; unlike the treadmill, the route to this restaurant involves an upward gradient virtually all the way. I thought the trip back would be much easier, but I guess fewer Tacos al pastor might have helped that.

And I leave you with a picture that should need no explanation.


Yes. It IS a fork in the road.



No comments: