Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Doctor visits and blog stories - gotta love 'em

What would I do without Doctor visits? No, I don't mean in terms of curing ailments and staying healthy - I am talking about the source of good blog stories. For instance:

Yesterday I was in a medical office and they needed to draw blood. Andy, the friendly paramedic who was assisting me asked if I would mind if he used this occasion for a teaching moment for two new medical assistants. That was fine with me, so he introduced me to Melissa and Emily. Melissa was actually their X-ray technician and had the least experience, so she was picked to do the deed.

Andy discussed the best way to get a vein to present and had Melissa tie off one, then a 2nd tourniquet, and while I was squeezing the little rubber ball they checked each of my veins and discussed the pros and cons, and the directions of the veins and a lot more that I didn't follow, but everyone was paying close attention and they all agreed on the vein.

Melissa tells me that this is going to "stick a little" and slides the needle in very easily with almost no pain. Good job, Melissa!

So I am congratulating Melissa on the lack of pain and everybody is all smiles until Andy says, "Melissa, do you notice anything about this IV?" Melissa looks puzzled, and Emily steps up and looks, and I look, and we're all pretty clueless until Andy says, "Melissa, where's the blood? You missed the vein, dear."

By the way, Emily drew blood on the first try (while poor Melissa was in the corner, going, "Ohhh, I'm so sorry. Oh, noooo!").

No comments: