Monday, June 1, 2009

Monday Meanderings

Rethinking Mexican Food. Not to worry - Chuy's is still numero uno - but we were in the neighborhood the other day and stopped at Pappasita's for lunch. We've been to Pappasita's before, but it has been a long time; it's simply not located on our normal foraging routes. We really enjoyed it - stuffed ourselves silly with just lunch entrees. For sure a dinner would require one or two take-home boxes. More of a Mexican food menu rather than Tex-Mex.

The really memorable part of the lunch was when the waitress set Mom's lunch on fire. Mom ordered Queso Fundido, which is Spanish for "Your cheese is on fire." So was the serving tray but the fellow at the next table sacrificed his napkin to save us.

They are promoting a Plato de Padre plate for Father's Day. It's supposed to be dinner for two, but the waitress said "Bring friends." Sounds like a Birthday/Father's Day plan to me, but I'm sitting by the fire extinguisher, just in case.

On the subject of food, we discovered yesterday that Marie Callender's serves a pepper-crusted Tri-Tip. Appropriate for a California-based restaurant chain, don't you think? It was excellent, by the way.

Mom dropped me off at Wal-Mart the other day so I could run in and get something. Meanwhile she would wait in the car till I came out. Normally, we call each other on the cell phone when we come out - saves circling the parking lot. So I'm outside, trying to find Mom's cell number in the bright sunlight, fumbling with the phone when I hear "Ahem" from Mom - sitting in the car right in front of me. I was busy, okay?

Finch season must be about over in this area - very few finches feeding (say that three times fast) these days. I did see a new bird the other day - thought it was a mockingbird until I noticed a very long curved bill. I learned it was a Curved-Billed Thresher.

Overheard conversation about an overheard conversation: "We were on the observation deck of the Washington Monument and heard this guy say, 'That octagonal building over there is the Pentagon.'"

And I leave you with a link to a hilarious audio track. It will self start when you click on it.

3 comments:

pat said...

What a great way to start Monday - laughing!

Julie said...

Yep, that was great (the audiotrack). Perhaps I'll have to start listening to her at the gym.

I also think it's great that you can Tri Tip at Marie Callendars. I heard last night that their pies are on sale, so we may have to go over there and pick some up.

Cynthia Agnell said...

So the Tonight Show's "Jay Walkers" don't have the monopoly on stupidity.