Monday, November 16, 2009

Monday Meanderings - Nov 16

We regularly pass a church sign that reads: "Good Korean Church of the Nazarene." Which poses the question...

This past week during my time volunteering at Reading for the Blind, I read the Constitution. Not a book about the Constitution - the actual Constitution, the Bill of Rights (the first 10 amendments) and the 17 subsequent amendments. Interesting. I don't think I had ever read the entire thing.

Mom has named her iTouch timer Mocha. She uses the timer app regularly and has the notice set to a barking dog. So we'll be sitting quietly reading or watching TV and all the sudden a little dog starts barking. She tried the duck sound for a while but it just didn't have the warmth that the little dog does. Plus, when she recharges it at night she refers to that as "putting Mocha on the leash."

Went to our first Lady Longhorn Basketball game of the season Friday night. We're not positive, but this is probably around our 30th season. The Drum was opened in '77 and we started attending shortly after that. In the old days we could arrive 15 minutes before game time and park across the street. It's more of an undertaking now.

Coach G held the star player out of the 1st half of the game. Misconduct? Banned substances? Ran afoul of the law? No, slept late and missed a class. They hold them to a higher standard in womens' sports.

We've been toilet shopping. Do you have any idea how many brands, types and models of toilets there are? For a product that you buy only every 30 years or so it seems to be a very hot market.

And they range from the ridiculous -

To the sublime.



Honestly, I don't see my self on either of these. I would be afraid I would fall off the first and the second would give me nightmares. Yes, that is a Dias de la Muerte motif!

Fortunately these two were not on the list of toilets that the City of Austin will reimburse you for, so what we purchased looks more like, well,,, normal toilets. Except they are "comfort-height" - toilet-speak for "old folks can get up from these."

Since our water bill often exceeds our electric bill, and since using the toilet is about the most fun old folks have, it's time to economize with high-efficiency models. That's toilet speak for flush twice, but at 1.28gpf we're still ahead of the game.

And of course, this all reminds me of Pops. "Had a good day today."

2 comments:

Julie said...

Wow! I'm so honored that Mom named her itouch after our dog! And I didn't know you could set the time to different sounds...I'm definitely going to have to check that out.

And yes, I think think the painted toilet is quite creepy. Perhaps a little - inhibiting, even.

pat said...

I'd go for a toilet painted with frogs for the lake!