Monday, November 23, 2009

Monday Meanderings - Nov 23

Saw two decals on the same auto rear window. The first and most prominent decal said, "I hate stupid people." The second, less-obvious decal said, "I am blessed."

Ate at Marie Callender's the other evening; noticed that they have a big refrigerated trailer (like those  hauled by semis) parked out back, full of pies? Turkies? Good things to eat, for sure.

We're between seasons, bird-wise. Even the pair of Finches that didn't get the memo and stayed behind are now gone. However, a Crested Titmouse came to feed the other day. That's a bird new to my list.

My sweet wife made me an upside-down Snuggie - you know, the blanket with sleeves. Except mine doesn't have sleeves - it has feet. Well, a pocket for my feet. So when I get up in the night and sit in the recliner I have this wonderful fleece blanket to cover me and a pouch for my cold feet. It's heavenly!

Saturday I had an audition. A real, honest-to-goodness audition for a role in a musical production. You know, the kind where you bring your material to the appointed place, sit with the other auditioners (eying each other warily), get called into the room and do your thing before the producers. "Thanks, we'll call you - don't call us." It has been a looong time since I auditioned for a role.

Mark Ship, his brother Jerry and others have written an oratorio based on the book "Hinds' Feet on High Places" which is a Christian allegory. They use a narrator to tie all the music together, and that's the role I auditioned for. There is a "stipend" for the role. Interestingly, several professional voices have auditioned for the role, including someone who has won a couple of Grammy's. One guy listed work that he had done in "Saturday Night Lights." Jerry Ship's wife, who was ushering people in and out and just moved here from Portland asked me, "What is Saturday Night Lights?" Uh, you're not from around here, are you Ma'am?

I think this should be logged under the ever-popular "Why Women Live Longer Than Men" category:


1 comment:

Julie said...

Even though Mom had already described the upside down snuggie to me, I for a minute was picturing a blanket with pants-like legs sewn into the bottom. Quite a mental picture, that.