Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Nothing is ever easy

I mentioned Mom's new iTouch. The one that was going to be a Christmas surprise (well, she promised to act surprised). I could have pulled it off if her Palm had not kept quitting on her with ever-increasing frequency. It has died several times but I've managed to perform mouth-to-circuit resuscitation each time. Until recently. Now it goes away and nothing I know how to do makes a difference; then it comes back to life a day or so later and acts like nothing is wrong. It quit the other evening and the next morning Fry's ad had the iTouch on sale (okay - Apple products are never on sale, but it was a few bucks cheaper) and I took that as a sign.

As for the "Nothing is ever easy" part - a new iTouch comes with the latest operating system, which requires an upgrade to iTunes, which requires a Service Pack to be applied the PC. Of course,  I hadn't gotten around to applying Service Pack 3 - never mind that it's been out a year or so. I think not applying Service Packs is analogous to "Don't mess with a happy baby" . It's all working now - why run the risk of breaking something? And before I catch any grief from the Mac crowd - you have the same problem:  iTouch 2.0 requires iTunes 9.0 which requires Mac OS X v10.4.11 or later.


Anyway, the larger problem was getting calendar items and address book entries and Bible versions and Diabetes tracking applications from the Palm to the Touch. That was the part I was going to do surreptitiously so as to surprise her with the done deed. It was a lot easier with her help, I have to admit.

So now the Palm is retired (the one that is operating just beautifully, thank you) and Mom is loving the iTouch (when she can get it away from me).

1 comment:

pat said...

With the Mac those updates are just a click away!
Unfortunately for the wallet so are the apps.